Plan Your Move: Moving Itinerary & Checklist
Moving doesn't need to be stressful! It is possible to start your new life without having your old one in shambles. Not sure what you should be doing the weeks leading up to your big move?
We take the guesswork out for you with this handy moving itinerary & checklist. Avoid last-minute scrambling and make your move one that is smooth and stress-free. Follow the steps on this list and you'll be moved into your new home before you know it.
8 Weeks Before The Move
- Lighten your load and downsize by selling unwanted items in a garage sale or by donating them to a local charity. Other good places to sell your big-ticket items is on one of many online marketplaces. Craigslist or buy and sell groups on Facebook are a great place to match buyers to furniture, electronics, and other unwanted goods.
- If you have children attending school, arrange to transfer school records.
- Contact moving or truck rental companies like Budget to get estimates. Shop around for the best value.
- Save all of your receipts and start a "move file" containing all estimates and costs related to your move.
6 Weeks Before The Move
- Set your move date and have pick-up and delivery dates with the moving company set.
- Pet owners should schedule a check-up with their local veterinarian, and obtain a copy of all necessary records to keep on file*
- If you have a family doctor/lawyer/dentist, ask for referrals in your new city and obtain a copy of all necessary records to keep on file*
- Schedule all arrangements with your current landlord or real estate agent.
4 Weeks Before The Move
- Make arrangements with your current utility companies and set a disconnect date to avoid unnecessary charges to your account & settle any outstanding charges. Notify of your address change.
- Arrange a connect date with utility company in your new home
- Cancel any newspaper subscriptions
- Look in your local post office for information on change of address forms
1 Week Before The Move
- Have your car serviced if moving or driving long distances*
- Clean out your refrigerator and defrost freezer
- Transfer or close unnecessary bank accounts. If you have a safety deposit box, remove its contents*
- Do a final sweep of the house to make sure nothing has been left behind
- Arrange to have the entire day off to spend with your movers
- If you have any valuables or family heirlooms, carry these items with you
- As you leave, close all windows, and lock all of the doors
*Only required for homebuyers moving to a new city
Who to Notify Checklist
Services and Utilities
Want to learn more about our real estate services? Contact us for more advice on simplifying your next move, or for professional help in selling your home.